Friday, January 14, 2011

B.A.S.S.'s Unfortunate Crisis: Part 2

It's a good thing I don't use speech to text to write. If that were the case, my foot would be disabling me from creating this very article. In part one of this article, I mentioned that B.A.S.S. and it's lackluster diligence to re-seat a new National Conservation Director, seemed uninterested in getting the position filled. Secondarily, taking the national conservation meeting at the Classic out of the scene for yet another year. Well... ironically, the day after I posted the article, through e mails sent back and forth between all of us Federation Nation conservation guys, I was happy, exuberant, surprised and taken back to learn that Tim Cook (TX) had spoken with Jerry McKinnis (one of the new owners of B.A.S.S.) after Dave Santos (CT) had reported that Noreen Clough had been appointed the new National Conservation Director. Or should I say "re-appointed" given that she was the incumbent when Chris Horton came on board.

In such a case I am glad to be wrong in the sense that B.A.S.S. seemed to be ripped from its deep conservation minded roots. I guess I jumped the gun and didn't give it enough time. In Tim's messages with Mr. McKinnis it was evident that getting the program into full force again was one of the things weighing on his mind saying “I think the CD meeting is so important to achieve our goals.” Also making it evident that talks would resume about the meeting being held in the future. Not to throw a negative spin on things but what's the saying? 'Talk is cheap'. Not to say I'm not feeling positive about the recent subject attention, but at the same time I'm not going to let myself be taken to the races by talk. I want to see action. That qualifies as extra purchase to me and it speaks louder than words. In a realm where we, the guys doing this for free because we recognize that it drastically increases the quality of the sport, have been shown time over time all the 'mean nothings' that mere words offer. Jerry, if you are reading, I greatly appreciate what you are considering. But don't take it personal if some of us don't buy all-in until we are all sitting at a table sanctioned by B.A.S.S. discussing what we do best... protecting the resources of our sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment