Monday, March 16, 2009

Haven: First of the Season

Just wanted to work out the cob webs and see if I could get back in the full swing. Went out to Haven and threw a crank and spinner, but to no avail. Funny because the day before i was just up the road at Griffith sinking structure around the lake, the air temp got into the 70's and I know the shallows had to have heated up to the high 50's at least. Next thing I see is bass running around in the shallows like it's recess at the local elementary school. Back to haven, the day was for sure not the same as the day prior. A little windy, the night before had fallen into the low low 40's and snow melt runoff flowing like a river into the lake all week long. The temp that day got up into the 60's by 12:30 PM, but I just could not coax a bite. I think I cranked the paint off a Rapala DT6 in Fire tiger and spun the blades off a Strike King Perfect Skirt in blue and white. We started at a relatively shallow flat that made up the mouth of a creek coming into the main body. Water temps in the morning read 49.7 and by 1:00 PM the temp rose up by 2 tenths of a degree. Didn't matter... Not even the pickerel were willing to give my Strike King a try. Hard to tell what it was that locked up the fish, but between the pressure already mounted on the place, snow melt cooling down the water and a high pressure system rolling through, I'm guessing the fish were more like rocks at the bottom than, well, fish. And we all know that rocks won't bite a hook.

No comments:

Post a Comment