Monday, March 30, 2009

Bass Idiology

Some would say that bass fishing all comes down to luck. Others say it's and intricate form of art that takes an almost zen-like approach to master. I say it is a perfect marriage of the two. Taking the fundamentals of statistics, adding its own randomness to the equation and the knowledge and physical skill only obtained by a seasoned veteran trained in targeting only three species of fish. I'll give you my reasons for truly believing in this theory (perhaps asking yourself why I waste the time).

First off, "skill" as they call it, in my opinion is a relative term. It comes in different levels. One of the things I pride myself on, is the fact that I know that this is the one angle that I can control. I can practice casting, rigging, etc. and become more efficient in these categories. Now, let's say I was me and I was lumped in with some Elite Series pros in a conversation about skill and worth out on the water... I would most assuredly come out with the short end of the stick in that debate. Then, say the same conversation, but I am among other anglers that fish on the same level as me and in the same state, body of water, quality of gear, etc. Now where do I place among those anglers being debated as the better? Probably still low on the totem pole but that's beside the point. My point is... exactly as I stated before. Skill is a relative term. Why? Because one can lack thereof if categorized incorrectly. You can only measure ones true angling skill if you gauge them appropriately. If you are measuring a source of electricity that pumps out only mv, and you have the volt meter set to a 200v range; you are bound to have a reading that is nearly impossible to comprehend. Ya dig?

Luck... Not a term of relativity but one that should be taken into consideration in terms of statistical behavior among the fish one is trying to catch. Yes, bass have habits. Papers have been written by scientists and patterns have been recognized by fishermen and general traits such as predatory behavior can be obviously expected. The catch (no pun intended) is all the variables that play into who is where and when. Let's pretend for a second that we could follow the biggest bass on the upper Chesapeake Bay. She is an 11-10 (let's just say) and she is hunkered down on a piece of timber near the shore about a 1.5 miles up the Northeast River. There is a tournament tomorrow with 150 boats. In order for that fish to be 'guaranteed' (100% probability) to be caught, you would have to have each and every angler fish every variation of lure, every single dock and piece of cover and structure within the limits of the species salinity tolerance. Every combination of every variable would have to be met. Now we could say the same for any specific fish. I just chose "the biggest fish" for interest. The figure in this equation that allows fish to be brought in to the scales, is the sheer fact that the fish are populated in a large whole number and disbursed among the entire area; of which is a variable factor its self.

If we take a lump of the statistical values and a lump of the fundamental skills we talked about, and welded that together, that is what gives us our KVD's and our Mike Iaconelli's. They take those two main bodies and mold them together in their own twisted ways and live by it. It allows them to catch fish on a level that makes us hate them for it or cheer them for it. You may call this post philosophical; you may call it bull shit. But there is always the one roll of the dice that says its truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment