Sunday, March 1, 2009

Winter's Last Stand

It's snowing like crazy right now and I was just saying yesterday that I thought spring was on it's way. Just as the first day of March rolls in, it's demeanor thus far expresses unkind intentions for this year. I am glad made the decision to force a fishing trip yesterday. I spun off the cover to the boat, loaded up the gear I took out for the winter, hooked up and took off for the Seaford boat ramp at the Nanny. (Nanticoke for those of you who don't know the slang) As soon as I launched, I fired up the big motor and headed up river to find some skinny water with good structure. The water temp was cold at 44 degrees, tide was way out and and still running out with the wind. All the spatter dock is still dead and has not even started to punch through the mud yet. Motoring up into some clear looking water I grabbed my G Loomis spinnerbait rod and tied on a Booyah spinnerbait with a gold and silver blade and a white skirt with a little chartreuse in it. Before I started throwing that, I also tied a green jig on my flipp'n rod and started putting it right in the bottoms of cover near deep banks. No takers there. I swam the spinnerbait across the cover a couple times and then fan casted more out toward the deeper water in the center. After repeating this in about three different places all in line with each other, I picked off a nice 4.5 - 5 pound fish, slamming my spinnerbait in about 5 feet of water. After that, the air temp was steady falling every 30 minutes and I could tell the ride back would be hell. Overall it took me about 35 minutes of fishing to catch a fish worthy of some notoriety. I picked the right place to go, and I am confident that I could have filled a limit in that area. The thought that I am learning the Nanticoke is a delighting prospect. I had a hard time with it last year and I thought i would never get it. The tide kills me every time. Well I can say as sure as it is snowing right now, I will be a force this year on the Nanny. As soon as this crappy winter takes a hike that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment