Sunday, December 28, 2008

Coming Into My Own "Style"


They say that every bass angler has his/her own style. Really, what the hell that means is beyond me. Using one technique more than another does not constitute as a "style'' in my book, but whatever. This sport is great and I love it; but it has more B.S. to it. I guess that is my style. I filter through all the b*** s*** I get down to the stuff that will help me catch fish versus the stuff that just tells me to use this lure or that line because super star KVD does. Let me tell you something about how good KVD is. Fishing is a sport of equality. It's not like a football or baseball athlete that have separate physical capabilities. In fishing, anyone can end up on any part of the lake using any of a million lures. It's that winning combination of those two that brings home the money. In other words, it's 60% luck and 40% using educated guesses to put you NEAR the mark. So how good is KVD? He's only as good as his ability to pick a combination of the two explained above. My point... use things that have proven themselves to YOU, not just because Tim Horton or Skeet Reese uses it. So, my style: using anything that has consistently worked for ME in situations that I like to fish. It's all about words like I, ME, MY, MINE, MYSELF. You should be thinking selfishly when sculpting your way of fishing. If you start using stuff that does not really work for you just because it's endorsed by your favorite pro; It's likely that it's just going to be a time eater out on the water. How did I come into my style? Well I'll tell you that the first time I really started to have luck on soft plastics was when I started fishing them weightless. Then I started using the senko and my catch rate went up. Even as much as the senko is used, I still keep a rod rigged with one because it's a go-to for me (it works when others won't). I also have other tendancies that formed in me over time such as spinnerbaits and jigs. It's knowing when to go against these habits that I somtimes have trouble with. Often there are times I will tell myself to do something different and still later find myself using my usual habits. I guess it's just being conscious of your faults, and striving to correct them. Falling into a pattern can be dangerous because my own feeling is that you can become too dependant of catching fish with just one option. One day they stop going for the usual presentation and you are soooo reliable that they get back on it so you don't switch and you end up coming in with empty live wells. Bet you can't guess how I know about how that all goes down? You guessed it; experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment