Wednesday, December 24, 2008

When I Was Starting Up


About 4 or 5 years ago, I lived in San Diego, CA. I lived in the outskirts of town in Lakeside which is due east of the city. While there, I met a person who is now a very good friend of mine and at that time, I did not know, but would ultimately introduce me to the sport of bass fishing. When I first started going to the local lakes and ponds, I was not ALL interested in just catching bass. Really didn't matter to me what I was catching as long as I was catching fish. Couldn't say that today. Back then I was fishing from the banks of Santee Lakes, the quarry behind the Lakeside drive-in movies, and Miramar. Constantly, whenever I had the smallest opportunity to sneak out with my two, cheap baitcasting rods; I would head off to one of these places to further hone my skills. I am sure I have made quite a contribution to someones tackle box with all the lures I lost in all those reeds growing along every bank. I used to catch some good fish out there in SoCal. I remember I would just dream of going to Dixon or somthing and hooking into a big 10 lb. Largemouth. One day I took the day off from work and did not tell my wife. She thought I would be going to work as normal, but instead of going to work... I went to Dixon to go fishing. My fishing at that time was frowned upon by mife [girlfriend then] as she was pregnant on top of finacial difficulties and I showed no sign of slowing my habitual migration to local lakes and ponds. I was hooked! Just like the fish I was catching. So I got to Lake Dixon, and me and this Marine wher the only folks there. We both wanted to rent a boat so we went halves on one which made the trip more worth while in the end. From what I can remember; it was like June-ish and pretty damn hot. I threw everything I had at 'em but to no evail. I returned home that day having spent a total of about $60 that I didn't have and not a sigle fish to show for it. Can you say disappointment?

No comments:

Post a Comment