Wednesday, December 24, 2008

West Virginia


Ahh... my sanctuary. The mountains of WV. For years I have retreated to my parent's place of rest and relaxation just outside of Moorefield, WV. It backs up right to the south branch of the Potomac River. Winding through the hills and cliffs of the eastern panhandle to meet up with the main branch near Allegheny County, MD. Its full of smallmouth bass and the occasional trout but it's main attribute is the serenity. Pure uninterrupted peace; in some places case you wouldn't see a person or civilization for miles. I credit a lot of the skill I have obtained to this place. The way the river bottom hides it's self [though the water is crystal clear], with all the little nooks and crannies forming the highly contoured bottom. You have to pursue, to catch fish. They seldom seem to stay in one place there as they swim up and down 200 yard lengths of the river with relatively low water flow. At any given time and place they may find a spot at the bottom where they will stop and wait for food to come to them, or rest. Most of the time they move for prey. I figured them out after fishing the river multiple times over multiple seasons. But they always throw little changes at you to keep you on your toes. I can think back to many fond memories on the south branch with my dad, my boys, my wife. I can't begin to tell you how important this place is to me and my family and the little messages that it sends me about fishing [every now and then]. My advice to anyone that has the stereotypical view of WV, is go to this place. See it for yourself, what it will do for your spirit. Those who live in the city, this is a place where your natural born senses will run wild and return you to a state of being that you have missed for ages. I guarantee.

No comments:

Post a Comment